April 11, 2021
Dear Springfield Public Schools Community:
This letter is to inform you that 2 individuals from Jonathan Dayton High School and 2 individuals from Walton Early Childhood Center have been identified as positive Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases. Due to privacy considerations, no additional information will be shared regarding these cases. We would like to graciously thank those families that are reporting positive cases while schools are remote. This information is helpful as we identify our next steps and decisions related to in-person instruction, it is also reported to the county weekly, and is helping us to ensure that our staff and students will return to a safe and healthy environment.
The District is coordinating closely with public health officials and following CDC, state, and local health department guidance in order to assure the health and safety of our community.
While we are thankful that many of the adults in our community have been able to access the vaccine, ongoing concerns regarding the transmission of COVID continue to challenge us. In order to prepare for the return to in-person classes, please remind your children and family members to continue to follow the guidance below.
We understand the level of concern regarding COVID-19. We encourage parents and students to continue following the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention promoted safeguards, such as:
- Staying home when you are sick;
- Washing hands often with soap for at least 20 seconds;
- Covering coughs and sneezes and properly disposing of tissues;
- Limiting close contact with people who are sick and not sharing food, drinks and utensils;
- Practicing social distancing (staying at least 6 feet apart);
- Wearing a mask while in school; and
- Continuing to monitor your health for symptoms.
As always, we appreciate our community’s support and cooperation. You can assist us by remaining vigilant but sensible in your approach to dealing with this health concern. Should you have any questions about this situation, please feel free to contact your school principal and/or school nurse. Below are some resources that might be helpful.
- NJDOH COVID-19 Information for Communities and the General Public: https://www.nj.gov/health/cd/topics/covid2019_community.shtml
- Get the Facts about Coronavirus: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
- Symptoms of COVID-19: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/symptoms-testing/symptoms.html
- Testing: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/testing/index.html; https://covid19.nj.gov/pages/testing
- How to Protect Yourself: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/prevention.html
- What to Do if You Are Sick: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/if-you-are-sick/steps-when-sick.html
Superintendent of Schools