July 19, 2021
Dear Springfield Public Schools Community:
This letter is to inform you that 1 individual attending the summer program at Edward V. Walton Early Childhood Center has been identified as a positive Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) case. Due to privacy considerations, no additional information will be shared regarding this case.
No students or staff members were identified as “close contacts,” defined by the CDC as “someone who was within 6 feet of an infected person for at least 15 minutes starting from 2 days before illness onset (or, for asymptomatic clients, 2 days prior to positive specimen collection) until the time the patient is isolated.” We are continuing to coordinate with public health officials in order to assure the health and safety of our community.
While we are thankful that many of the adults in our community have been able to access the vaccine, ongoing concerns regarding the transmission of COVID continue to challenge our state and nation. It remains critical that individuals with symptoms (headaches, runny nose, sore throat, persistent cough, stomach upset) reach out to a healthcare provider to access a COVID test.
We encourage parents and students to continue following the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention layered protocols, including:
- Staying home when you are sick;
- Washing hands often with soap for at least 20 seconds;
- Covering coughs and sneezes and properly disposing of tissues;
- Limiting close contact with people who are sick and not sharing food, drinks, and utensils;
- Practicing social distancing;
- Wearing a mask while in school; and
- Continuing to monitor your health for symptoms.
As always, we appreciate our community’s support and cooperation. You can assist us by remaining vigilant but sensible in your approach to dealing with this health concern. Should you have any questions about this situation, please feel free to contact your school principal and/or school nurse. Below are some resources that might be helpful.
- NJDOH COVID-19 Information for Communities and the General Public: https://www.nj.gov/health/cdtopics/covid2019_community.
- Get the Facts about Coronavirus: https://www.cdc.gov/
- Symptoms of COVID-19: https://www.cdc.gov/
- Testing: https://www.cdc.gov/
coronavirus/2019-ncov/testing/; https://covid19.nj.gov/pages/ index.html testing
- How to Protect Yourself: https://www.cdc.gov/
- What to Do if You Are Sick: https://www.cdc.gov/
Superintendent of Schools